I hope everyone is having a great week! It has been raining here (I hate the rain!), but being stuck in the house gave me the opportunity to look around and pick new projects to tackle.
The two things my boys detest are homework and CHORES! Over the years I have tried tons of chore charts and tons of different motivations (ie bribes) to try to get them to do their chores. My last attempt, I thought, was finally the chore chart that was going to work!! They got chore bucks for doing their chores and then they could trade in their bucks for fun prizes, treats or money. It worked great until my oldest decided to just do the chores that had the highest value and leave the rest, his brother caught on and well let’s just say SYSTEM FAIL!
We tried the, “You have to do your chores whether you get allowance or not but if you do all of them without being told, you get your allowance.” Umm………yeah another chore system failed! What was I thinking? I have to remind them to put on clean underwear every day!
Then it hit me. They don’t seem motivated to slowly build up their allowance by doing one chore at a time. What if I just gave them their set allowance and if they don’t do all the chores that I have paid them for, then they will be paying ME back? This system might just work!
I decided we needed new chore charts. The system needed to be fun and functional but most important I didn’t want them on the fridge anymore. Here is a pic of my old chore charts, can you understand why they had to move?
If they weren’t going on the fridge, I wanted them to be cute and durable. I love my new chalkboard that I just got as a gift, so that was my inspiration.
I had some old picture frames, so I spray painted them. I went to Home Depot and got a metal roof flashing sheet (my husband cut the one piece into (3) 8×10 pieces to fit in the frames). I primed and then painted them with chalkboard paint.
I purchased some chipboard letters and applied scrapbooking paper to them with Modge Podge. Now, I just needed cute magnets! I wanted something that the boys would like….bottle caps!! I purchased some envelope seals from Hobby lobby (love that store) and applied them to the bottle caps. Next, I found cute clip art for all their different chores and shrank them to fit the bottle caps. I applied an epoxy sticker over the whole thing, stuck a magnet on the back and waa laa!!
So here they are, our new chore charts!
Thanks so much Mandy for having me!
Hope everyone has a great week.