I made this cake last week when we had house guests and it is absolutely amazing! My husband isn’t crazy about box cakes and he LOVED this one. A few of our guests mentioned they don’t like coconut, but they loved this cake.
This cake is so quick and easy to make. I have to say it’s not the prettiest cake….but don’t let the way it looks throw you off… you forget what it looks like when you taste it!
In my haste of getting ready for company and all of the other chores that goes along with it, I forgot to take a picture of the cake!!! So, I found a picture online that does the trick!
Source: Keeley’s Cuisine
1 cup Sweetened Coconut
1 cup Pecans, chopped
2 cups Mini Semi-Chocolate Chips
1 box Super Devil’s Food Cake
8 oz. Cream Cheese
1/2 cup Butter
1 lb. Powder Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and 9×13 in pyrex dish. Toss together the coconut, pecans and chocolate chips and sprinkle evenly on the bottom of the pyrex dish.
2. Bake cake according to directions on the box and pour it evenly over the coconut mixture.
3. Melt cream cheese and butter together. Sift powder sugar and add to the cream cheese mixture along with the vanilla.
4. Pour the cream cheese mixture on the top of the cake batter. Using a knife, run it through the cream cheese and cake mixture being careful not to go as deep as the coconut layer.
5. Bake 50 minutes until almost set. Toothpick will not come out clean.